Sunday, January 31, 2010

Embroidered Easter Coat

I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to make an Easter coat for Caitlin.

I dug out Style 2439 that is no longer in print. It's a size 18 months.

Digging through my stash for a warm fabric, I found some Doctors flannel that was part of project for a class I took with Gail Doan. The project was a child's jacket in size 4 as seen in her book Sew Cute Couture.

But I can't wait for Caitlin to be a size 4. Luckily there was enough of the fabric to cut out the pattern.
I wanted the coat to have a Vintage 50's theme. I traced this bunny on to tissue paper, tacked the tissue paper to the outside of the coat and stitched with 3 strands of embroidery floss, following the design using a split stitch.

I made up the flowers myself. With embroidery, just about anything works.

Then I put a little embroidery on the collar and piped the collar using a mini piping. The collar looks uneven in this photo, but in real life it does look even and sits flatter than it does on the hanger.

I got carried away and stitched some embroidered flowers on the back.

Again, I just made them up.

For a few days, I had been tossing around the idea of making bound buttonholes on the jacket. I have never done them before as I've been fearful I couldn't do them. But they turned out to be rather easy to do! Go figure.

I followed instructions that looked similar to these.

I found 3 vintage buttons that belonged to a jacket that was mine when I was a little girl.

For the lining, I used this bunny fabric that I bought maybe 12 0r 15 years ago!

I matched the colour floss to the lining.

I am pleased with the results. However, I serged the armhole and it's not sitting right. I won't do that again.

Now to make a matching bonnet!

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely sweet coat! And your embroidery is so neat. Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I know I am late to the party but this is so beautiful! It really makes me wish I knew how to embroider. What a lucky girl your granddaughter is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm even later to the party, but I just have to say "I LOVE THIS!" Everything about it is equisite! Love the style, the color, the embroidery (you are way too modest about it!), the lining, the fabric, everything! I've always wondered about doctor's flannel, and I may have even seen it, since I've taken a class with Gail Doane, but it's been a while. I assume it's thicker than our flannel? more like wool coating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm even later to the party in checking comments.....
    Doctors flannel is a thin wool coating.
    Because the weather turned so unseasonably hot here over Easter, my granddaughter never wore the coat and bonnet. Actually, she has never the occasion to wear it at all.

    ReplyDelete