Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mystery Dress

I came across this pattern in my stash and wondered what it would look like made up. I couldn't find the accompanying photo in the magazine, Creative Needle, Nov/Dec 2004, just the pattern.
It's called "Parker's Apron. Is Parker a boy? Is Parker a girl, as in Parker Posey?

So I made it up using this pretty ice blue fabric that's been sitting in my fabric stash for years.
The pattern worked up quickly, the instructions were fairly straightforward but probably would frustrate someone new to sewing.

I had to spent $5.00 on the buttons as I just didn't have 15 little white ones all the same in my button collection.

I made a mistake with the bias binding on the front. There was a seam in the binding and I went and put it at the front and not a back corner.

The back has a pleat and a belt. Cute!

But I really wanted to see a photo of it. So I e-mailed my friend Judith, who is busy working on a pattern design of her own. I know she was a fan of Creative Needle and I somehow thought she would have the issue where this pattern came from.


And she did! Parker is a boy and this pattern is supposed to be a shirt, not a dress.


Oh well. I think it looks good as a dress. The size is 12-18 months.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your sewing blog...to answer your question about Parker's Apron. I live in the deep South, Louisiana to be exact. While it isn't as common in 2010 as it used to be, our infant and toddler boys wore "aprons". They are simply a boy "dress". They usually buttoned in the front, (left over right) with a button-back belt. Most often they were slightly A-line with a straight boy sleeve. Length was above the knee. They were so cool and comfortable in our hot and humid climate. Also so much easier for changing diapers. They were just easier for boys until they were out of diapers. They were everyday baby clothes for boys and were made in cute little ginghams and broadcloths, sometimes with embroidery, monograms, and shadow worked accents. My now 22 year old son wore a beautiful blue bastiste apron with a lace collar that I made for his first Easter when he was 10 months old. Historically, in the deep South, our baby boys were dressed as beautiful as our baby girls with lovely daygowns, aprons, then button-on suits and rompers. They usually did not wear long pants until they started to school about age 6. I think this was both Southern custom and convenience in our warmer climate. Your apron made up beautifully. There used to be an Elizabeth Travis Johnson pattern marketed by Children's Corner called Crosby's Apron that was my absolute favorite. It has long since been out of print but I still have it in my "favorite patterns" stash! Happy Sewing for your adorable granddaughter and friends!!! I also enjoy all your snow pics!!! That is something we rarely get where I live!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan for your very informative comment. I find it fascinating to learn about traditions and origins of sewing styles in other parts of the globe. I always wondered about 'aprons'..... and now I know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete