Saturday, March 13, 2010

Another UFO finished

Perhaps is was sometime in 2004 I cut out, pleated and smocked this little dress called Frannie, and left it in the UFO box to be constructed.

Today was the day for construction. Surprisingly, it went together rather quickly. Why did I wait so long?

I found the instructions rather difficult to follow. Maybe it's because I have my own way of constructing a dress like this and I would have worded it differently had I written the instructions. At any rate, I figured it out.



Here it is under different lighting.
It's a size 6 months, but I'm sure it will fit Caitlin who is almost a year old. If it does fit her, I'll make some little bloomers to match. I have just enough fabric left over to do that.
I didn't put the pocket on. It seemed to large for the scale of dress. It's cut out and ready to go if Caitlin's mom wants the pocket put on though.

I really like this fabric. There is something about a small print that is appealing to me.

I made my own piping from leftover pink broadcloth and it matched the little flowers and floss perfectly. In my stash of buttons I had only 2 that matched each other as well as the fabric. What are the odds of that?


Close up of smocking and piping. Good match, eh?

Busted: 2 buttons, some broadcloth, some yarn that I've been using for piping cording, and 1 more item in the UFO box.

There's still a long way to go.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Frannie style. I need to order the next size up as my little one has grown out of this pattern. I sewed it up a few years ago but never smocked one of this style. Yours is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this little dress! I have this pattern but have never used it. I must see if I can do something with it this summer. Your little granddaughter will look adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete