Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dottie's Day Dress

Another project finished!

I bought the fabric for this dress back in '01 after I saw this dress in Creative Needle Magazine.

The wind is blowing so the collar looks askew as does the skirt, but it is straight. A good photographer I am not!

The issue was July/August of 2000. The issue included the pattern which was designed by Trudy Horne. I just loved it when I saw it in the magazine and knew I just had to make it one day.

The back has a belt as opposed to a sash. I followed the design plate 'Carlisle" which was also in the issue.

Then in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue the dress appeared again only minus a collar and in white dimity. I just had to get some dimity, which I did and used it last month on the pink baby carriages dress.



In Jan/Feb 2004 the dress appeared again in white Swiss pique and the design plate was by Karen Platner called 'Double Delight" which was featured in that issue.


In the Sept/Oct issue of 2004, the same dress appeared in windowpane dimity and instead of smocking the front it was shirred. At the bottom of the shirring is hand stitched daisies, french knots on a bed of wheat stitches. This article was written by Trudy Horne and included shirring instructions.

The pattern was easy to follow and worked up quickly. Goodness only knows why I took so long to get to this project!
It's size 12 months.

6 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying seeing all the UFOs you've completed. I love all the gorgeous smocked dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites! It also reminds me how very much we all miss Creative Needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I miss Creative Needle. It was a fabulous magazine offering so much. Sew Beautiful magazine is no longer available in Canada at the news stands and I miss it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. This one has always been on my short list to make. Sigh, oh the days of CN, I still miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is so pretty! I will have to send the link to Karen as she would love to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the green dress (the first one).

    ReplyDelete