Monday, July 16, 2012

Tea Party Dress

I've had this tea party themed fabric in my stash for such a long time. I bought it with the intention to use it as backing for a child's quilt.  But I'm just not a quilter so it's been sitting in my stash waiting for another project.

Well, the other day my internet sewing friend Sharon posted this tutorial found here.  
It gave me inspiration so I dug down deep in the abyss of the turquoise fabric box and unearthed the tea party fabric.

I have a tea set for Caitlin that's lime green and turquoise, so this will be a perfect outfit for dress-up when we have tea in the Gazebo.

Truth be known, the image reminds me of myself pouring imaginary tea for my childhood and lifelong friend Kathy. When we were kids, we played tea party for hours on end.


So here's the finished dress with piping (of course) on the arm and neck opening.


While I was sitting on the rock stairs taking this photo, mom Blue Jay and one of her fledglings landed beside me.
I think this is her second brood because it's so late in the season to see young Jays. And speaking of the unusual (or maybe proof of global warming) is the presence of many Common Buckeye butterflies that rarely appear here. They've even been spotted north of Lake Superior which is in the Boreal Forest.

None of this has anything to do with sewing though.


Nor does this photo.
Beside where the Jays landed is a bench with a basket of Iceberg Pansies and I have long blamed the local deer eating the blooms.  Not any more.  It's Chippy who is the culprit!


Okay, back to sewing.  The pattern I used was Bodice Dress by Collars Etc.  I omitted the collar on view 4 and used Sharon's directions.

I made it size 3.

Okay, so now I'm going to go jump in the lake because it's outrageously hot and humid here again. And when I dry off ... tea in the Gazebo of course!

6 comments:

  1. So lovely! I do love the fabric and the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most darling little dress! See, the great thing about having a fabric stash is that you unearth darling prints like this that is unique and not the same old popular current prints that everyone else is using. I love it!

    Poor deer who have been taking the blame...though, I'm sure they are not entirely blameless.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy, and I've been behind. I've enjoyed catching up on your beautiful dresses.

    I absolutely love, love, love this fabric, and you've done it up so beautifullly! I have this pattern. Thanks for introducing me to the collarless style; I've been trying to figure it out in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. my girls LOVE playing tea party! It's my youngest's very favorite past time. They had a fit over your dress!

    ReplyDelete