Monday, October 22, 2012

Jump Rope Dress

Last night I made the Oliver + S Jump Rope dress using brown tweed (100% unknown mixed fibers) and a fat quarter of a William Morris print.  The tweed washed and dried nicely so whatever the fabric is made of, it'll work for children's wear.

The object was to make the placket opening bigger because for the past Jump Rope dresses I've made, it was difficult to get Caitlin in the dress. Therefore, I increased the depth of placket pattern pieces by 2 inches. (5cm)



I used the FQ fabric on the pockets ............



and on the cuffs, which isn't in the pattern ..........


on the hem facing, also not in the pattern .....


and on the collar and plackets.


It's size 3, View B.  Drop dead easy to make as every Oliver + S pattern is.

When I use an O+S pattern I am struck by how ingenious Liesl (the designer) is and that her mum must be so proud of her. Liesl has pretty much revolutionized children's sewing patterns in my opinion.



Note to self: be extra accurate with cutting the neck section of the placket. 

4 comments:

  1. OOooohhh! I just LOVE it!!! Wish I could replicate it for my eldest! Lovely for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of it- the lengthened placket, the cuffs and the hem facing. I think the tweed would look neat with leather elbow patches. I may make a dress like that sometime. Did you line the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute....I meant to reply to your reply to me and just didn't get it done...I looked at their website a while back...going to check again. I may end up buying and trying one after your email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a perfect dress for autumn, Deb. clever to lengthen the placket - may need to try that next time

    ReplyDelete