Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pleated Playsuit

The other day I got a request for rompers.  Timing couldn't have been better because I had already made a pair of rompers and was itching to try out another pattern.

I found this free pdf pattern from Elegance and Elephants called Pleated Playsuit and whipped it up in no time.

I made size 4/5 using cute summery looking cotton from Dear Stella.
The pattern was easy to follow but yours truly managed to goof up on the pocket.  I didn't cut it out properly, following the solid lines instead of the 4/5 lines. Doh!
Discovering my mistake I adjusted the pocket construction on the inside and no-one will be the wiser.

I added a little bit of pink piping to the pocket even though the instructions allow for self-piping.
I meant to add piping to the leg cuff too but once again I wasn't paying attention and missed that step.


The pleat on the front is a nice detail.  Next time maybe I'll try out several little pleats, or perhaps some pintucks.


When it came to the shoulder straps, I found using Fast Turns (metal tubes for turning fabric) were much easier and skipped the topstitching.



I really enjoyed making this pattern and if it fits, make more of them!

11 comments:

  1. Very cute - gotta love a romper suit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! Love the fabric you used. Thanks for the link. I'm going to see if I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it turned out!!! Would you share where you got your turning tool? I have the plastic dritz and it never works! haha! Thank you for linking up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RaeAnna: I think the FastTurns I have are no longer available. They look like this:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12914628/fast-turn-fabric-turning-tool-with-extra

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are 'itching' to sew a romper too....but haven't done so yet! VERY CUTE, Deb!! Hope to see many more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! And the piping on the pockets is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Nancy Zieman use turning toils, I'm sure she has some on her site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute, but I doubt Lorelei would wear them. She wants her shorts so loose they about fall off here...and she hates bibs.

    ReplyDelete