Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Asian inspired Roller Skate

For the month of July the Flip This Pattern challenge is to have some fun with the Oliver + S Roller Skate dress pattern.



I've made it once before however I'm not so sure Miss C has ever worn it.  It was a little big for her and it doesn't twirl.


However she does wear Simplicity 3900. As a matter of fact one of the dresses from S3900 is in my repair bin (it's a deep bin - chock full) because there is a paint stain on the tie. It's an easy fix.

Here are the two dresses from S3900 that I was totally inspired to make from here.

 

So for the Flip This Pattern I thought I'd incorporate the mandarin collar and neck opening from the bodice top of S3900 and fit it to the bodice top of O+S Roller Skate dress.



There's a zipper for the back opening.
The sleeve edges have piping as does the collar and neck band.

Putting in lining to the bodice top was very difficult to do.
The inside of the collar and the lining are not attached, they are butt up to each other. The lining at the neck opening is folded inside itself. Hope that makes sense.

I left off the waistband tie.
Oh, and I gathered just a little bit on the skirt front.



The fabric is "Kyoto Paisley" from Alexander Henry that I got initially to make a handbag around 10 years ago. It popped out of my vast fabric stash as the perfect fabric to use for an Asian Inspired Roller Skate dress.

Size 4.

8 comments:

  1. I love this, Deb! It's a beautiful dress.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric, love the collar you added, and love those little dresses from the simplicity pattern.

    I was starting to ask Sarah something about Lorelei and dresses, and she told me Lorelei does not even want to wear a dress this summer. Last year, she didn't want to wear shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the collar and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is a perfect match for the inspired Asian style you created!! I hope Miss C LOVES it.....looks like you made a similar outfit to the ones she does like, so maybe the odds are in your favor with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful. I think the mandarin collar is a perfect match to the rest of the dress. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the beautiful details you added: neck, contrasting buttons, piping... Great job!
    Ledys
    www.fromthesunnyside.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for being one of the fantastic five of July. Your dress are really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete